有無両縁塔

ウムリョウエントウ

hako091

■碑文

(表)
有無両縁塔

(台座)
廓内遊女屋
施主人 住吉屋政十郎
小田屋善治
広田屋文吉
増屋定吉
宮川屋与吉
中里屋久一郎
東屋幸吉
金子屋東三郎
田中屋六太郎
小嶋屋栄三郎
大垣屋藤兵エ
高田屋たま
納屋孫右ヱ門
仲屋治右エ門
菱屋たま
北越屋さん
中嶋屋ひさ
新屋留吉
上田屋まさ
玉屋和五郎
佐藤久兵エ
盛屋武八
茂村屋定兵エ
伊勢屋徳右エ門
甲屋長太夫
世話人
■新屋留吉
塩越屋冨右衛門
上田屋利助
岩橋屋文五郎
菊邑屋安五郎
落合屋忠治郎
維時元治甲子歳終夏六月仏歓喜日

■観光説明板

この「有無両縁塔」は、元治元年(1864年)に、当時の遊廓の経営者たちが、引き取り手のない遊女などを供養するために、合同で建立した供養塔である。
かつて山ノ上町と呼ばれた界隈(現在の船見町周辺)には、多くの遊女屋があって賑わっていたが、箱館奉行が安政5年(1858年)に、その一画を山ノ上遊廓として公認してからは、整備も進んでいった。さらに、翌年の開港に伴い、日本各地の商人や外国人の往来が盛んになり、遊廊も一層の賑わいをみせるようになった。
この碑は、開港という新しい時代の陰に、遊廓で働き、ここで生涯を終えざるを得なかった女性たちがいた事実を残すもので、台石には建立者たちの名が刻まれている。

函館市

MONUMENT OF UMU RYOENTO

This monument called “Umu Ryoento” was erected in 1864 in repose of abandoned women who worked in the “red light” districts.Funds for this monument were donated by those who managed prostitute houses.
In days gone by in a town called Yamanoue-cho (a neighboring area,now named Funami-cho), there was a lively red-light district.After the Hakodate magistrate granted a license and named this area the Yamanoue prostitute quarters in 1858 (Ansei 5),those houses renewed their quarters for the promotion of business.
Moreover,Hakodate port’s opening to foreign trade in 1869,brought visitors from every land and these quarters did a thriving business.
This monument reminds us of the fact that in the shadows of the port opening’s new age there existed women who had no choice but to work and end their lives here as prostitutes.The names of the donators are engraved on the pedestal.

CITY OF HAKODATE

■参考文献

「函館市史資料集」第27集(函館市史編纂委員会)

大エリア 函館市
小エリア 西部地区
所在地函館市船見町23番(地蔵寺境内)
制作時代 近世
主題時代 近世
カテゴリ 碑・像